Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sally Hansen Nail Crackle Polish Review

It's the last day of school, and I'm sitting in the computer lab with nothing to do. 
So I decided to type my review new product I recently got that I was really excited to get my hands on.

I picked up Cherry Smash and Vintage Violet.
Cherry Smash is a beautiful, pure red color. It is very opaque and has good coverage.
 Vintage Violet is a dual toned purple color. It is less opaque, and the coverage could be better.

I must say though, I'm slightly disappointed.
I do only have two colors of the polish, so I cannot speak for the whole line.

Let me just say, that I do not usebase or top coats, I just do not have the patience.

My first few attempts with these polishes were with Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure polishes as bases. These polishes dry basically matte, which I think may have been the cause of the problem.

My first attempt was over the color Yellow Kitty which is a beautiful pastel yellow. The polish was completely dry, as I had it on for a few days. I applied  Cherry Smash on one hand, and Vintage Violet on the other.

My first complaint: The brush. It's a baby! You'll need to use it a few times to cover your nail, the brush is just so small.
Second Complaint: It would not crackle! I had success with 1 of my nails on the Cherry Smash hand, while the other nails just had one crack straight down the middle. On the Violet hand... It was just and ugly smudged mess.

I though.. "Maybe it's just the base color choice" after all, the color were a poor match. I then tried them both on Lavender Cloud by Sally Hansen..a lovely white with just a tiny hint of purple.
I got exactly the same results.
I was so disappointed. Where was the beautiful results I had hoped for?

I refused to give up, and I didn't want to return them anyway.
I decided that since I had used two matte polishes, I would use a polish with a glossier, shiny finish.

I picked out this beautiful Sliver (468 Metallica) from the Wet n Wild Wild Shine collection.

I applied Kaleidoscope, let it dry, and then applied Cherry Smash. I was amazed! The results were so beautiful! Over the Wild Shine polish, I got the defined cracks I wanted, while still having the Silver come visibly through.

But I unfortunately could not get the same results from Violet!
It took 5 tries to get even decent results. Even these results were uneven. I applied an even amount to each nail. 2 nails did not crack. 1 cracked beautifully and 2 were okay...


My tips for success with this product:
Apply an equal coat over the entire nail.
Thin coats for the most cracks, thick coats for larger, less numerous cracks.
Apply with a glossy or shimmery nail polish. 
It you would prefer to use a matte one base,  you may need to 
apply a glossy top coat to the base color and THEN apply the crackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment